How to Gas BBQ
Why are there holes at the end if my burner?
Those holes are designed to pull the oxygen through with the gas so that you can get your lit. It is safe to use this way.
My burner will not light?
- Make sure your igniter wire is connected at both ends. Push both ends into make a secure connection. Check igniter wire for tears or frays. If wire is damaged it needs to be replaced.
- Make sure your electrode is clean and dry. It must be free of rust and grease. If the electrode is dirty you must clean it. Check the ceramic body of the igniter. If it is cracked, it should be replaced.
- Try to light your grill with a match. If it will not light, refer to Question 1 above.
- Do a leak test and make sure that every connection on your grill is tight and secure.
- Check your burner and venturi tubes for spider webs or other debris.
- If it is dirty, it should be cleaned.
Do you see a spark?
NOTE: A venturi is located on the bottom side of the burner. It is a cylindrical shape that connects to the back of the control valve (knob).
I can't get my grill to light. What is wrong?
- Make sure the hand valve is in the "ON" position.
- Do you have enough gas in the tank?
- Perform a leak test
- Get a squirt bottle (not a spray bottle) and fill it with 1 part liquid soap and 3 parts water.
- Soak everything from the hand valve (wheel) on the top of the cylinder to the regulator and tank orifice connection, the entire regulator hose, where the regulator hose connects to the grill and the control valves.
- Turn the gas to the "ON" position, turn all the grill knobs to "HIGH" and look for air bubbles.
- If you see any air bubbles, you have a leak. If it is at a connection, retighten. If it is the regulator hose or the control valve, it will need to be replaced. If you do not see any air bubbles, you do not have a leak.
- The regulator excess flow device may have been tripped.
- Inside the regulator is an excess flow device. This excess flow device is designed to protect your appliance from excess pressure.
- When you move or transport the tank excess pressure gets built up in the tank.
- When you open the tank the excess pressure is released. This may cause you excess flow device to trip.
- To reset the regulator disconnect the regulator hose from the tank and wait 15 minutes. This allows time for the built up pressure to dissipate and the ball barring to reset itself.
- Reconnect your regulator hose to the tank and try to ignite again.
My flame is not 2" high. What is wrong?
The flame on smaller grills should be approximately 1/4" to 1/2" high.
All of a sudden, there was a drop in gas flow and my flame is very small. What do I do?
- Check volume of gas in cylinder.
- The excess flow safety device may have been activated. Refer to question "I can't get my grill to light. What is wrong?" number 4.
Why does regulator hum?
Most propane appliance regulators use a rubber diaphragm to control the amount of fuel allowed to the control valves. If the propane tank has been overfilled, or it is a hot day outside, it is possible for this rubber diaphragm to vibrate. As it vibrates, it creates a humming noise. This noise, although annoying, is perfectly safe, and should go away in time.
My barbecue is experiencing excessive flare-ups. Why?
Food drippings coming into contact with the hot flames of the burner cause flare-up. Some flareup is normal, but excessive flare-ups are most often caused by a build up of grease catching fire. To avoid large flare-ups, or possible grease fires, it is best to clean the grill periodically. The heat of the burner will burn off any excess grease on the bottom side. Also, ensure that the bottom of the casting is kept clean of any grease or cooking debris.
It is also recommended that you cut away as much fat from your meats as possible to cut back on the drippings.
What is the lighting hook used for?
The lighting hook is used to light your burners when the igniter is not working. The tool is designed to be safer than attempting to light your burner with just a match. Simply place a match in the spring coiled end, turn on the burner and light.
Can I use lava rocks or briquettes in my grill?
NO. Our grills are designed with a heat plate. The heat plate distributes and maintains the heat evenly throughout the surface area of the grill. The use of lava rocks or briquettes would obstruct the designed airflow.
Can I use my portable grill on a table top?
NO. Do not place grills on or near any combustibles. This is a fire hazard. Our grills are NOT tabletop models. Place grills on the ground only.
The inside of my grill lid is peeling. The paint is coming off. What do I do?
The inside of the lid is not painted. Baked on grease buildup has turned to carbon and is flaking off. Clean thoroughly.
What can I do to add flavor to my food?
Moistened wood chips. Make a bowl out of foil and put moistened wood chips inside the foil bowl and place on top of heat plate. Your grill will naturally become more seasoned every time you use it.
Why is my porcelain cooking grid chipping and flaking?
The cooking grids are made of stainless steel and are coated with porcelain. Once the porcelain is cracked, the heat expands the crack and causes it to bubble and when it dries it will begin to flake off. To clean the porcelain cooking grid, you should use a Teflon safe scouring pad, hot water and a liquid grease fighting detergent.
Why is the stainless steel on my grill turning a rust color?
This is a natural occurrence. The heat and oxidation turns the stainless steel a rust color. This can be polished with a good stainless steel cleaner.
- Wipe surfaces clean with mild dishwashing detergent or baking soda mixed with water.
- For stubborn surfaces use a citrus based degreaser and a nylon scrubbing brush.
- Rinse clean with water.
- Allow to air dry.
- Turn control knobs to "OFF" and gas cylinder valve to CLOSED.
- Disconnect gas cylinder per the instructions in your owner's manual.
- Remove cooking grids and heat plates.
- Remove burners by removing the fastenerssecuring the burners to the grill bottom.
- Lift burners up and away from gas valve orifice.
- Disconnect wire from spark electrode.
- Clean inlet (venture) of each burner with small bottle brush or compressed air.
How to clean the surfaces:
How to clean the burners: