Rated 4.5 out of 5 by 11
Rated 5 out of 5 by Zebraelch Incredible set with one big missed chance..
Overall this set can only be recommended, not only is it immense fun to build, great fun to play and looking absolutely impressive but it also is a great set for parts and let your creativity run wild..
my only critique with this set is the missed opportunity by Lego to unite it with the Lego City world.. this set almost perfectly fits into the City scale and would have been absolutely perfect with 1 or 2 construction worker minifigs thrown in as well as a proper Lego cockpit instead of the sad Lego Technic version of a cockpit, which also is very fragile in contrast to the rest of the set.. well maybe next time.
21 October 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by Legoken0713 Challenging but rewardsimg
I'm new to the lego world and want to commend the designers of this set! It is an awesome build, well laid out and it just amazes me with the amount of detail they put into this set. I am halfway done and cannot wait to finish and let my son play with it, he has been helping along the way with the organizing parts for the specific steps. I love the transmission and gear layout it really was fun for us to put them together and making sure they move smoothly.
Great jobs guys!
01 October 2016
Rated 4 out of 5 by DukeTechnic Great built, super showpiece, precarious PF
This is a very nice set to built! The complexity and the ingenious engineering, just like the real deal.
Although it's massive, it still has nice details which make the model really stand out.
Unfortunately the PF are tricky. At first the bucket wheel and belts were barely moving and got stuck continuously. I disassembled the bucket wheel spinning points and reassembled it with very high care. This improved the rotation and I got a somewhat continuous operation. But after a few actions it started to falter again. The clutch wheels just can't handle the force, although all parts van be operated manually without falters. I'm thinking of removing the clutch wheels from the current location (near the engine) and place individual clutch wheels directly at each PF (wheel, main belt & lower belt). Hopefully they won't be overloaded anymore.
The track function & speed is perfect, no comments on that.
To conclude: I had a lot of fun building it! But you need some problem solving to get the PF's working properly.
15 September 2016
Rated 4 out of 5 by Taris Good set with a few drawbacks.
1. Loads of parts!! Just too many parts in the box and the weight almost breaks the yellow LEGO vinyl bag. If you ordered it from Internet, give some praise to your delivery people.
2. It's not just many parts. This set contains loads of square frame parts and gears which are super useful in any MOC designs. If you want to dive into Technic building, this set is a MUST buy set.
3. Many functions. Rolling conveyor belts and bucket wheel operation are already worthwhile to make a contraption. This set also moves forward and backwards and the superstructure rotates. Although the bucket wheel elevation and lower conveyor part rotation are manual but it's not too hard to motorize it due to its sheer size!!
4. Although you can't mount a Minifigure, this model is actually a one of few Minifigure sized Technic models. The cockpit can contain a Minifigure if you modify the seat with a proper studded one. (This is a definite plus for anyone wants to play with!!)
5. The finished A model is a huge contraption but is actually very sturdy. You can carry this heavy contraption by holding the top part of the arch!! The bucket wheel arm itself is really sturdy as well. You can even wield it around without problem.
1. Too many parts and gears: causes too much backlash and almost impossible to debug when something isn't working well. I've changed the tandem clutch wheels with 24 teeth gears to ensure smooth bucket wheel operation (see one of my pictures.) But this isn't safe especially if any mineral(or Skittles!!) stuck into some corner to hamper any motorized operation. It's gonna break rest of gears or overheat PF XL motor.
2. The backlash is severe. For example. The lower conveyor belt lock is almost invalid. Even though you engage the lock, the conveyor belt slides like +30 to -30 degrees without any serious impedance.
3. In other words, this set is super hard to make it operate properly. Although putting parts together is not hard at all(since this model doesn't have any pneumatic hoses and threads), fitting all the parts to ensure smooth operation is a great challenge. The hints on instruction manual aren't enough. You are warned!!
4. B model instruction is only available on the Internet. Browsing through hundreds of PDF pages (especially without proper index codes!!) isn't convenient at all.
5. The control panel has many functions. But the operation is kinda limited. You cannot mix any rotation with linear movement. i.e. The bucket wheel cannot rotate when the excavator is moving forward. A MOC project to work on!!
Although I've pointed out as many drawbacks as pros, it's not a bad model for the size. Heck, this is the largest PF motorized Technic model (excluding fan designed MOCs) so far.
Remark: You better visit Bulk Barn to play with this model properly!! Skittles!! Skittles!! more Skittles!!
06 September 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by yopoe Outstanding Model
The quality and functions of the model are very good but I would like a more smooth looking model. Also some of manual functions could be automated as it is annoying to manually crank them when there is a motor that could be used. The other problem is the inability to pick up the lego pieces with the wheel as it just stops, so the" play element" is let down.
Overall excellent model!
04 September 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by infernovivogt Cool, but slow
I was excited to buy it, and I loved building it. I heard that it was cumbersome with the Power Functions XL motor, but that didn't matter to me. However, after building it and getting it up to speed, I found that it really isn't that fast or powerful. The motor glitches occasionally, it creeps and rotates excruciatingly slowly, and when attempting to dig any Legos, the wheel stops. This needs a more powerful motor to be able to use. Since Lego doesn't make a more powerful motor than what's included, you're stuck.
All of the PF concerns aside, it looks fantastic. I would still recommend it for the building experience and the sheer size and presentation of the finished product.
20 August 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by oakchip A Really Awesome Set!
Well, having just finished the build, I can say this is a truly worthy 'Flagship' Technic set. First of all - the build. I took over 1 week, just building sections at a time. The parts come in numbered bags (1-8), thank you Lego - this really does help building. The instructions are in one HUGE book. The sections of the instructions relate to the bags. Two nice inovations in these instructions. Where small parts are added to a large section of the model, white outine 'windows' are added to highlight where the parts go - nice touch! Also, on one or two pages, the main model is greyed out, leaving only a section in plain colour to highlight the new parts. Very good! At the end of the instructions the controls are explained. This layout is also new - and very clear.
The build is complex. I managed to make a mistake on stage 4; and had to dismantle the model to put in a missed out gear wheel. I managed this twice! So; check that the axles and gears are connected and doing something before proceeding! A small criticism is that, on the build of the bucket arm (stage 6), the conveyor belt support structure is rather weak until the re-inforcing side is finished. Care is needed with this stage not to bend or break parts. When complete the structure is very strong. Also adding the bucket arm to the main structure is fiddly. Four hands might help with this stage!
When complete the kit is really impressive. I particularly like the attention to detail in this kit. Not only an operators cabin, but ladders, walkways, and lights are added all over the model. It adds a sense of scale and completeness to the model.
Value for money? Yes! Although expensive you do get a lot for your money. Apart from the fun building and playing with the set, there are a huge number of parts. I would certainly recommend this set to anyone who likes Technic Lego.
14 August 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dust Outstanding Set
This set is definitely one of the best I have ever assembled and I have built a ton. While building, it never ceased to be amaze me at the engineering that went into he design of this set. I was sceptical of the operation but it does operate well. This is also and incredible value, as you'll see how massive it is.
09 August 2016