Rated 4.9 out of 5 by 40
Rated 5 out of 5 by Craigganmore Hugely enjoyable Lego experience
Cargo plane is one of the most enjoyable builds I have found in a long while. My wife and I bought the modular Parisian café and the Vokswagen camper van and whilst both of these were enjoyable, they didn't satisfy my need to build something that worked. This certainly makes up for that - okay, it doesn't actually fly but the way in which the gearbox allows you to switch power from the rotors to the lifting of the cabin and the retraction of the landing gear to the lowering of the rear door gives you an enormous sense of creativity. The way the flaps can be lowered or lifted and the way the whole aircraft can be 'steered' is a fantastic introduction to the physics of flight. The fact that the whole aircraft looks perfectly in scale, and that the flight code corresponds to a an actual plane (if not the right model) makes it one of my most prized Lego creations. It is a great talking point when friends visit and such a joy to own.
28 October 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by TechnicalHuman Very Functional and Unique Set
The Cargo Plane is something new to the Technic Line. We have not seen any large motorized Technic Aircraft before. For a 1300 piece set the Price very reasonable. The finished product is really large, has good proportions and has a ton of Functionality. It has a mix of mechanical and motorized functions that are completely real. As a parts pack for your MOC's , this set would not be my top pick because as it is a plane you don't get suspension and drive train parts, but you do get many white panels and beams. The functions work splendidly and I would really recommend this set . The only problem that you can have is the price tag.
14 August 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Tim78 Good Fun to Build
I like the functions on the plane and wondered how one motor could perform all the functions. While very cool in how it works I found the mechanism that engages all the different functions get stuck on some so the propellers and door operated together. Great product but
02 August 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Legosuperfan Smartest Buy EVER!
Great building experience, some what challenging. Amazed by what I bought for the price I payed. Functionality is fantastic, only down side is there is no rudder, but it just leaves room for your own personal touch.
21 July 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by MrPaulo23 Bringing that Little Pilot Kid in you!
This is the finest Lego airplane set I've had since I only had 1 before and that was the Technic Space Shuttle, moving forward this set brought back so much fun and memories as a little kid I was fascinated by any airplane or helicopter we saw passing by our old home. Aesthetics-wise this has to be the one of the most pleasing sets from the Technic line, I like the white and blue livery the designer chose for this big boy and the fact that you don't have to motorize it because it's already motorized right off the box. Functions are fun to operate especially the blades and then trying to make it "fly", very fun feature especially when you are just being that kid who wants to have his/her own airplane. The loading ramp and the tilting pilot area is lifted by two small linear actuators and are another feature kids of all ages will enjoy, last you have the landing gear, had so much fun playing that feature and mimicking it landing in an airstrip, all those real-life functions has been integrated to this set that you'll enjoy playing it or looking at it and savoring how appealing this set is!
Manual features lets you move that flaps and ailerons in different directions, features that the little pilot in you will surely love.
- It's massive, minifig scale it probably is but with 1,297 pieces goes way a lot with this set, wing tip to wing tip. One can surely tell how big this airplane is
- Mine came with a new version of the Power Functions box which has a more pronounced color and the green LED power indicator is "greener"
- My biggest complaint on any full-size Technic set is the lack of Power Functions and that you have to purchase it separately, in this one though Power Functions is integrated and I'm already looking forward to replacing it with an L-Motor considering how the mounting point was designed for it.
- Kudos to Lego for making the Power Functions box very easy to remove.
- Very very appealing look, probably because I was never into Lego plane sets but this one just has that wow factor, and I'm keeping it in my collection for as long as I can!
- Stickers makes this set don't look boring actually the contrasting color of blue makes this set "alive" in your eyes
- I'll give Lego a 10/10 for "clutching" the plane's twin-engine by using a simple ingenious way which I'll for you to figure out once you've built your own :)
- Very rigid design, I'm able to lift it up singlehandedly and make it fly.
- It feels a little open especially in the rear cargo area but probably a new panel could have remedied it, otherwise a small fix considering I've seen other collectors and fans modify theirs already
- The twin-engine design is great BUT on how it's attached to the wings and make it wobbly.
- Set feels a little bit unfinished because of the gap left open, small fix though just have to tinker around your parts bin to solve this.
- Can be very challenging for younger builders because the parts bag are un-numbered, be sure to have enough time and space to build it but it can be a fun challenge for older and experienced builders.
I combined mine with set 42020 small twin rotor helicopter and the donor set makes 42025 looks more real with 6 blades on each motor.
Lego did a good job with this cargo airplane set and it's worth spending that $140.00! Prepare to take flight!
19 July 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by BMWheels Excellent Product
First off, it looks great and it is very rigid when you pick it up doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart. The Power Functions features are great as well as the added manual features. There is enough room in the back to put some cargo in if you wanted to, but it would probably need to be in a crate so the pieces can't fall into the gears. A nice feature is that you can use your engines AND raise / lower you gear at the same time. However I would recommend this to Intermediate - Expert Technic builders
30 June 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Lusti418 Best Lego plane I built :)
Great size, a lot of features, a lot of fun. I have not built the hovercraft yet, but these 2 in 1 sets are really awesome.
The gear mechanisms for various features are quite impressive and can work separately or 2 at a time. My fist technic build after a long time. I was not disappointed!
23 June 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by LegoHowILoveThee An Amazing Set
My 7 year old son saved up money for 6 months to buy this plane. He absolute loves all lego aircraft and this one is definitely the pinnacle of his building experiences. It is by far the most challenging set he has built. He is extremely experienced at building lego (Mom and Dad are big fans), but is challenged by trying to push three connectors together at once for example. I don't consider this a fault of the design at all, but it is slightly above his level. The set is rated for 10 to 16 years old. I think that if my son was 10 years old, he would have the patience to build it all in one go, but it would still need to be an experienced 10 year old lego builder. As it is, he builds for a few hours, then takes a couple days off, then builds for a few more hours and so on.
On to the model though, this is one of the most fantastic designs I have ever seen. To me, the highlight is the gear box mechanism. The design is brilliant. There is a single actuator in the design that can control multiple features by the use of this gear box and clutch system.
I would also recommend a few small containers to sort the parts out first to make the build go a lot smoother. There are a lot of small parts!
18 June 2015